Thursday, March 8, 2012

February Questions Answered

Question: What do you think about meal delivery systems like Seattle Sutton? Are they worthwhile if weight loss is my primary focus?

Answer:  These types of programs can be a great option, but it depends on what you’re looking for. Many people like the fact that all the prep work is done for you. Let’s face it—lack of time and energy to cook is a significant barrier to healthy eating and all of the rewards that come with it. Others like the fact that you can choose a particular calorie level, and I’ve also heard people say that meals have been quite fresh and tasty, which was actually a bit of a surprise. The downside is that sometimes these plans can be almost too easy, which makes the transition off of the program that much more difficult. You still have to educate yourself on how to eat healthy for the long-term, and these programs don’t necessarily help you do that. They can also be quite expensive, especially if you continue to grocery shop and add other foods as snacks between meals. In the end, you have to look at all of these factors and make the best decision for your particular situation.





Question: Can you help me to clarify the issue of rest intervals when strength training?

Answer:  Absolutely. Rest intervals can vary greatly depending on your goals and the type of training you’re engaged in. If your focus is on highly explosive and intense multi-joint movements like squatting, deadlifts, and cleans, then you could take up to 5 minutes between sets for recovery. However, most casual exercisers that incorporate strength training as part of their workout regimen would be fine with a 2-3 minute rest between sets, assuming you’re only working one muscle group at a time. A newer training style (or several actually) involve virtually no rest between sets. Things like compound sets or supersets, or even whole-body circuit training, focus on shorter, higher-intensity workouts where rest in minimized throughout the workout. These days, people want to get in, get out, and go home, so the only rest they get occurs during the transition periods from one exercise to the next. The moral of the story is that if you’re looking to enhance strength and power, focus on longer rest periods, but if a more cardiovascular type of strength training is important to you, focus on constant movement!

                                                

Question: What are your thoughts on energy drinks? Good, bad, or indifferent?

Answer:  I’m a big advocate of living a healthy lifestyle and putting quality foods and beverages into your system. That said, in my humble opinion, energy drinks really don’t qualify as healthy beverages. Generally speaking, they’re loaded with sugar or artificial sweeteners, ridiculous amounts of B vitamins, various stimulants, and probably a few goodies you’ve never even heard of. Not my ideal pick-me-up, pre-workout beverage, or thirst quencher. If I’m a bit low on energy on a given day, I would rather focus on other factors that I can control. How was my sleep the last few days…have I been consistently eating and drinking throughout the day…have I been under any stress as of late that may be bogging me down? These are things that I can probably remedy with subtle lifestyle changes. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that having an occasional energy drink is going to cause harm per se, but I just think far too many people rely on these types of products to get them through their day. Ultimately, they’re devoid of nutritional value and they’re simply a crutch for most folks. Bottom line—I  think it’s important to focus on diet quality as much as diet quantity, so my advice would be to try and find a healthier alternative.

No comments:

Post a Comment